[Discuss] [OT] VZ Wireless carrier alternatives

I've had it with my $200/mo. VZ wireless bill.
My needs are:
- 3/4 phones "family plan" voice.
- unlimited texting
- (maybe later) data modem.  minmal bandwidth.
- No smart phones

My current cost with VZ is $200/mo with $50/mo
for the data modem.  I'll be returning the
modem ($145 break the contract fee).

I've not yet embraced ($$$) the smart phone
revolution, although the wife and kids are
clamoring for it.

I don't need 100% coverage, I think most areas
we use will be good enough.

What are the best alternate carriers?
Prepaid phones?
How do 3rd parties (do they) use major carrier
networks?

I'd be interested in less well known carriers,
virgin, metro pcs, cricket, boost, whatever,
for a good deal.  And I'm interested in the
privacy that might come from prepaids.

Millions of "law enforcement" requests
to carriers last year, with no "disclosure"
of such activity required?....Jim