[Discuss] suggestions on how to free code?

Having been in a similar position before I strongly suggest that you be
absolutely clear as to who maintains what.

In brief: I contributed something to GNU Emacs. The XEmacs maintainers
forked it but left my contact information as the maintainer. I was left
with users sending me bug reports about their version. It took me the
better part of THREE YEARS to get the XEmacs maintainers to update the
maintainer status of their fork. I was not amused.

--
Rich P.