[Discuss] GnomeOS

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 19:01 -0400, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 02:36:00 -0400
> Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If that's the best Gnome can do, am I allowed to scoff? It's not like
> > we're asking Gnome to invent or design anything new. I'd be happy for
> > Gnome to just copy a bunch of service patterns from Android and
> > MacOSX.
>
> MO: I'd rather they not copy Macintosh just to copy Macintosh. They did
> that with Gnome 2 and it was a disaster. The copiers don't understand
> what they copied so the changes they enacted made things worse than if
> they had left things alone.
>
> Colin: You have every major Linux distribution other than Red Hat
> abandoning Gnome because the developers are focused on "complicated
> functional changes" instead of usability. You ignore users' requests.
> You ignore their needs. You ignore their patches because they don't
> fit your grandiose visions. And Gnome withers and dies.
>
> MO: Yes, you're allowed to scoff. :)

When I think of the Gnome development team, I think of this bug:

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/4986

In my mind it is officially where Gnome and all of it's buddies jumped
the shark.

I'm old school.  I must have hover focus, I don't like icons on my
desktop, I have a single row of 8 virtuals, 99% of the windows on my
desktop are non-tabbed xterms or emacs windows.

I went to XFCE in advance of the release of Fedora 15.

ccb