[Discuss] 'nother question

john abreau writes:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM, dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:
>>
>> running xubuntu 12.04 on acer aspire1 d255e
>>
>> mounted camera:
>>   gphotofs /media
>>
>> the photos were all available under:
>>   /media/store_00010001/DCIM/100NIKON
>>
>> i got all my photos off just fine and disconnected.  however
>> i must have neglected something because /media has been left
>> in some strange state, with the camera directories still in
>> place and apparently unremoveable.  i.e. when i attempt to
>> do anything, e.g. touch /media/foo i get:
>>   touch: cannot touch `/media/foo': Transport endpoint is not connected
>>
>> any suggestions?
>
> My first thought is that /media is used by the volume
> manager to automount things like USB drives, and perhaps
> telling gphotofs to use /media caused a conflict that broke
> the volume manager.
>
> If this is the case, I'd suggest a reboot to clear the
> conflict, and then in future use some other directory for
> gphotofs.

got it -- thanks.  rebooted and all is well.  i'll use /mnt
in the future for gphotofs.  actually, automount no longer
happens right away when i plug in a memory stick, but
requires that i double click on the desktop icon for the usb
drive -- THEN it mounts.   it's hard to keep up.

btw, i have yet another problem.  i have two linux
computers: an acer running xubuntu and an asus running
lubuntu and can't get scp to work between them.  i finally
was able to transfer files using rsync, but what about scp?
ssh works ok.  am i using a wrong port, i.e. 22?

tia,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave