[Discuss] Claws Mail

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 07:59:58PM -0400, Guy Gold wrote:
> > I switched to it from Thunderbird.  Works great.  Cannot /compose/ HTML
> > with it
>
> I wish all MUAs would disable HTML email by default.

I agree with you but despite that, I think we old men need to get over
this idea.  This, from a guy whose mailer's [mutt] idea of "handling"
HTML is to pipe it to a console-based web browser and dump the result
into a pager...  While I love Mutt still, there are a few things about
it that I really wish were better; these days I get so much HTML mail
that Mutt's handling of it has become one of those.

HTML mail is pervasive, especially in business, and for plenty of
sorts of communications, it really is better than plain text by a wide
margin.  I used to ask people to disable HTML mail when they sent it
to me, but I've found that increasingly this is a great way to get
people to think of you as a codger (or just plain disagreeable).
Granted, it gets abused a lot, both by humans AND  by garbage mail
clients, which is why we don't like it, and why we should still
discourage its use on mailing lists...  But I think it's time we
acknowledge that we've lost this war, and that clinging to plain text
e-mail makes us dinosaurs.  =8^)

-=-=-=-=-