[Discuss] Using raw host hard disk in virtual client

In my experience, if you're going to use either VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion or VirtualBox then you really shouldn't bother with raw disk access.  It's a pain to configure and if you make a mistake then you can destroy things like your operating system.  As long as you have sufficient RAM to cache disk I/O on the host the performance overhead is going to be negligible compared to the overhead incurred by the user-mode hypervisors.  And if that performance hit is unacceptable then you shouldn't be virtualizing in the first place.

--
Rich P.