[Discuss] Open source, apps, and money

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 01:45:01PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> Hello:
>

> Once there is 1) money and 2) more than one person, things would
> appear to get so much more complicated.  Say one guy contributed one
> little block of code one time and leaves.  Said code is then part of
> every subsequent release.  Along with README and changelog, must there
> be a MONEY file?  I know that the GPL does not mean the software can
> be used for free, but how does one make that clear?

It depends on whether you are planning on dual-licensing or not.

If you stick with pure GPL, you are obliged to provide sources
to anyone whom you send the binary to. You can charge whatever
you like for the binary, but the sources must not cost more than
a reasonable delivery fee.

They are not prevented from sharing those sources with anyone
they like.

Oh, and Apple will not sell a GPL-licensed product at all. So
you know.

If you want to release under the GPL and also a commercial
license -- first make sure you have the right to redistribute,
commercially, all that you are selling. Then, for each person who
contributes code to your project, you need a signed release from
them letting you use the code for your own purposes.

-dsr-