[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

On 7/30/2012 3:33 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
> In this case we have an OS vendor dictating to hardware vendors that
> they are not permitted to let other operating systems run on ARM
> hardware they make. I believe that sets a new precedent.

FUD.  No OS vendor is dictating that hardware vendors are not permitted
to let other operating systems run on hardware they make.  HTC, for
example, could sell the same phone with either Android or Windows RT.
The only difference is that the Android version can have Secure Boot
disabled or switchable while the Windows RT version must have it locked
on if HTC wants to put a "Windows RT" sticker on it.

> Even on x86, where Microsoft doesn't prevent the hardware vendor from
> allowing Secure Boot to be turned off, you can bet than many lazy
> vendors simply won't implement an option to turn it off, because they
> can't be bothered supporting features for small populations. This will
> further constrict available hardware choices for non-Windows OSs.

More FUD.  In order to get the Windows 8 sticker on x86 it must have the
option to disable Secure Boot.  This is a requirement for the Windows 8
certification.

--
Rich P.