[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

On 7/29/2012 1:39 AM, Rich Braun wrote:
> The handwriting on the wall is simple. If this takes off, consumer
> options will be narrowed.

Consumers don't want choices.  They don't care if their options are
narrow.  They want their shiny appliances and gadgets and they want them
to be the same as or better than their neighbor's shiny appliances and
gadgets.

> PCs compatible with Linux will cost more, because sales volumes of
> such models will be lower. And windows machines will cost more too,
> because of slightly lower volumes and increased license fees.

This is FUD.

The server market won't change.  This is kit that won't be going after
Windows 8 certification anyway thus won't fall under Microsoft's UEFI
Secure Boot requirements even with ARM-based kit.  The workstation
market likewise will not change for the same reason.  Changes to the
consumer market will go largely unnoticed.  Consumers don't care if
their gadgets and appliances are OS-locked regardless of what operating
systems happen to be on them.  Android and iOS are clear proof of this.
  When their old, not-so-shiny-anymore gadgets won't run the latest and
greatest they'll just dispose of the old ones and buy new ones.  This
disposable nature of consumer gadgets and appliances will continue to
reduce the costs of commodity parts.

As for the rest of us?  We're spoiled.  We've been spoiled by the
commoditization of personal computers.  I include myself in that "we".
Consumers aren't buying personal computers in massive quantities any
more.  That commoditization is at an end.  Deal with it.  Crying about
how Microsoft is "taking away consumer rights" isn't dealing.  It's whining.

--
Rich P.