[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

Sorry Richard, this time for the rest of the list as well :)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you try to install Linux on a computer that shipped with Windows then you
> should be prepared for it not to work before you even plug it in. I've had
> too many problems at work trying to install Linux on Windows computers due
> to video and disk controller issues.  No.  If it shipped with Windows then
> it's automatically unsupportable beyond a best effort.
>
> If you buy a computer that ships with Windows expecting to install Linux on
> it then it's your own damned fault when it doesn't work.  You didn't do your
> research before swiping the plastic so you have nobody to blame but
> yourself.  Not Microsoft.  Not the OEM.  Not the retailer.  You.

Disagree,
It is pretty safe to say, that, Mac's aside, the vast majority of
systems that are running Linux, shipped with Windows on them when
leaving the OEM factory.
Servers aside, all Linux system I have dealt with, originally had
Windows on them, and
at times ( and really ,not always) there's  going to be 'that one
annoying thing' . There is quite a distance between 'that tiny button
on the left does not do that
cool little shortcut, but who cares, look at the 25 other things this
system can mostly dream of when booting into Windows ' , and between
'oh well, the only OS I can run on this system is Windows 8 " .  If,
just for imagination, Secure boot was 100% tightly enforced, with no
option for changing  the key as Mr. Anderson pointed, 10 years ago,
how many of this list members would have not experienced with Linux ?
, at  that critical moment when one thinks "mm.. OK, I'll give that
Linux thing a chance", booting from the distro CD, encountering an
error , and then just booting back to MS windows, for good.
Moreover, you are referring to the system "I" the Linux aware user
order, well, if I order one, I'll make sure to know what I'm doing.
But, not all the systems that a person works on, were bought by
himself.