[Discuss] Verizon and their mandatory data plan, redux

Looked into other carriers.  Problem is, one of our phone is about 15
months into a 24 month contract.  Would cost about $100 to cancel.  Then
there would be costs of new phones if we didn't stay on CDMA, and the
fees for setting up new accounts, and then finally the monthly fees.

We might have been able to save a few dollars, but the hassle factor
didn't make it worth it.  That, and T-Mobile, the logical choice, has
really bad service in South Brookline.  What really clinched the deal
was finding that we can get a 22% discount on the $79.99 portion of our
monthly bill because of my employer.

That said, I did find something interesting: smartphones released before
November 14th, 2008 can be activated without a data plan
http://www.plazor.com/howto/how-to-activate-smartphone-on-verizon-without-data-plan/

Unfortunately my daughter didn't want any of them.  So I bought a new
Verizon Palm Pre 2 on amazon.com for about $90 and, aside from some
weirdness like Verizon's Backup not working on it, she is quite happy.
--
	Jerry Natowitz
===>    j.natowitz (at) gmail.com