[Discuss] iPhone vs. Android - the backup problem

On 7/18/2012 10:18 PM, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> An Android phone can be hooked up to your computer via USB and acts as
> an external drive. The entire Android system can be backed up to a
> computer that way, and there are applications to facilitate the process.

Not possible.  Not even CyanogenMod permits the boot loader, operating
system or application partitions to be exported via USB.  Even if they
were, Android mounts them read-only internally so if they were exported
you would not be able to do a restore onto them.

You can get in there with the Android debugger but that's more than
little complicated and it doesn't let you restore.  You may be able to
do it via a custom recovery, but if you can do that then you already
have a mechanism for doing a complete dump and restore on the device itself.

> A stock iPhone cannot be accessed as a drive. It can ONLY be accessed
> via iTunes. Unless your iPhone is jailbroken, the option of backing it
> up in any way without using iTunes does not exist.

Not entirely true.  Recent versions of iOS allow USB access to some
areas of storage, notably the DCIM directory.

--
Rich P.