[Discuss] Tired of unreliable external drives... recommendations?

On 7/14/2012 5:35 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> It would be interesting to get an expert's opinion on this, backed up
> with some long term statistics, to see if drive reliability, at the
> higher capacities, is in fact trailing off.

I mentioned this a few months back: the most reliable drives that
BackBlaze has seen are the same ones that NewEgg customers have given
some of the lowest reliability ratings.  BackBlaze has tens of thousands
of this particular model and they hardly ever have problems, yet the
NewEgg scores for this drive are quite low.  Which tells me something I
already knew: Customer reviews are cumulatively skewed towards failures.
  You hear about a few dozen failures but you don't hear about the
hundreds of thousands that don't fail.

--
Rich P.