[Discuss] Agile software for a nacent project

On 07/12/2012 09:52 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> Mark, we've had had this conversation before, and you have met me, so
> I can safely say you're lying.

I want to add another note. There are a lot of companies in this
industry and a number of them are genuinely good places to work. The
majority of companies, however, this is not the case in my experience.
You sound like a lucky person to not had worked at a horrible company.
I have worked at some pretty damned bad companies. Sytron "Mandatory
Weekends," BPS "Lay the developers off after they are finished their
work." TPS "Bill by hour but pay salary, oh by the way, customer changes
cost the customer, but don't affect the schedule and don't justify more
people on the project." As well as a number of others. Aprigo where they
tried three separate development projects with basically three different
development teams  to accomplish a goal, and at the end of the last,
which failed, they blamed all the engineers. (They LOVED Agile and it
was their use of agile that pretty much colored my view of it.)

I'm not looking for a fight, but almost any development discipline in a
well run company works because the company works. It is the "well run
company" that gets the job done, not agile or water fall or cowboy. A
poorly run company does not understand the development process will use
the structure of agile in place of actually understanding the
development process.

At least with waterfall, you get a design phase.