[Discuss] Google's Nexus 7

On 7/10/2012 12:07 PM, Stephen Ronan wrote:
> There are reports like Bloomberg's of a forthcoming smaller Apple
> tablet:
> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini.html

I'm not convinced.  There are lots of things that can be done with 8"
LCD panels.  Apple is famous for leading on analysts just to make the
reveal that much more surprising.

The one place where iPad has not made significant inroads is the
educational market.  iPad and Kindle DX fail the same way: they're
terrible for taking notes.  What I expect to see at the reveal is
something running iOS on ARM like iPad but with superior note-taking
capability, something that works in classrooms from elementary to
university.  That's my prediction.  That and three bucks will get you a
small coffee at starschmucks.

> Moving to its own maps from Google's seems like a compromise by Apple
> toward lower quality.

It was driven by The Steve's hatred of Android and his desire to destroy
Google because of it.  It is a denial of revenue against Google.

> And Siri is losing badly to Google Now in most head to head
> comparisons. People such as Wozniak seem to think that Apple
> compromised quality by over-accentuating commercial aspects of Siri.

A fundamentally flawed comparison.  Google Now is a search application,
and search is the thing that Google does best.  Apple's version of Siri
is a personal assistant.  It stopped being a search application when
Apple cut it away from Wolfram Alpha.  They're two very different things
despite having similar appearances and sharing some functions.

--
Rich P.