[Discuss] Tired of unreliable external drives... recommendations?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:06:33AM -0400, Daniel Barrett wrote:

> I'm seeking advice on external hard drives for Linux system backup....
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Are there ANY reliable, quiet, external drives of size >= 3TB today,
> that fit into a safety deposit box (i.e., no RAID appliances) and work with
> Linux?
>
> 2. If I go with an external enclosure and buy my own internal drive for
> it, any recommendations? (Quiet is important.)

Have you always used USB disks, or have you tried ESATA?

ESATA gives much better performance, and appears (small sample
size) to be much more reliable.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.