[Discuss] Google's Nexus 7

On 7/9/2012 3:25 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Anyone planning to buy the Google's Nexus 7 tablet?

Not I.  Tablets and I don't get along, in the sense that fingerprints on
displays make me want to destroy.

It'll be interesting to see if Google can do the impossible.  Nobody to
date has put forth a genuinely successful 7" tablet.  When it comes to
portable electronics, the successful devices have either been very
convenient to carry or very convenient to use.  Palm nailed convenient
to carry with the original Pilot form factor.  Fits in a shirt pocket?
Convenient to carry.  The utility of the Pilot didn't matter so much in
the face of the carry convenience.

Apple cribbed from Palm with the original iPod.  At the time iPod was
introduced the other HD-based players were big, clunky affairs the size
of portable CD players (yeah, I just called a portable CD player "big"
:).  iPod fit in the shirt pocket.

So what about iPad?  It won't fit in a shirt pocket so it fails the
convenient to carry test.  But what about convenient to use?  That it
has in spades.  It was designed to be the epitome of convenient to use.

And now the 7" tablets.  Smaller and lighter than 10" tablets so more
convenient to carry.  Reasonable size screen so they're not a pain to
use.  Best of both worlds.  But they're not.  They're the worst of both
worlds.  They fail the convenient to carry test: they don't fit in a
shirt pocket.  They fail the convenient to use test: the smaller screens
are harder to see things on, and the on-screen keyboards are half the
size of what's on the 10" units.

The 7" form factor has nothing at all compelling about it.  The
question, then, is whether or not the break-even price point will be
compelling enough to make Nexus 7 a must-have device.

--
Rich P.