[Discuss] installation problems

laura writes:
>>>>> "dan" == dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> writes:

    dan> i put xubuntu 12.04/xfce on my asus and was quite pleased --
    dan> no problems -- think i'll stay with it until i see something
    dan> better.

    dan> however, when i installed it on my acer aspire, i must have
    dan> screwed up somehow.  when i tried to login via the gui, it
    dan> went off into never, never land -- blue xubuntu screen, no
    dan> response from anything.

> My experience of xubuntu over the last year or two is that
> it doesn't have a big enough population to support testing
> for things like making laptop graphics or power management
> work.  Actually, my last install was on my new desktop and
> there was a bug with the grub installation which had been
> fixed a month previously in ubuntu but the fix hadn't gotten
> into xubuntu.

> I have been experimenting with linux mint and lubuntu.
> Linux mint 12 was quite good (and is what is currently on my
> desktop), but linux mint 13 decided to try new stuff, none
> of which is usable on both my laptops.  Lubuntu 12.4 works
> well on my Acer Aspire, but has power management problems on
> the ancient ThinkPad.

> So I'm currently planning on lubuntu 12.4LTS on the desktop
> when I get annoyed enough at Mint 12, but at the moment it's
> not bad enough to justify a reinstall of the desktop.

thanks for the info on lubuntu; sounded worth a try so i put
it on my asus.  looks promising, but is there some way to
get rid of those desktop tabs at the top and all the icon
clutter?

tia,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan