[Discuss] Verizon wireless "mandatory" dataplan

On 7/8/2012 3:53 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> (Anyone ever look at 4G interoperability? I see multiple previously
> incompatible carriers are now using or deploying LTE. I presume at
> minimum they'll be using different bands, which could in theory be
> supported by a multi-band phone.

Right now the picture for LTE 4G in the US is grim. Each carrier is
using a different set of frequencies and a different band plan and
multiband phones do not yet exist, so there is no interoperability at all.

AT&T and Verizon are using their new 700MHz allocations, but may
eventually deploy LTE on their 850MHz and 1900MHz spectrum as well. (So
far as I know, neither has yet done so.) Sprint is planning to use its
existing 850 and 1900MHz allocations; they may also get LTE service from
Clearwire which will use its 2500MHz spectrum. T-Mobile plans to
decommission EDGE, move HSPA+ to 1900MHz for better compatibility with
other people's phones including the iPhone, and repurpose 1700MHz for
LTE. I don't know what MetroPCS is doing, and none of the other small
carriers like Alltel and Cricket have announced LTE plans yet.

A further complication is that all US carriers are still using legacy
protocols for voice; VoLTE (voice over LTE) is being worked on but is
not yet deployed. I don't expect this first generation of LTE phones to
ever offer any kind of meaningful interoperability. Check back next
year; the next generation may do better.

The picture is somewhat better for 3.5G HSPA+ interoperability. The
quad-band iPhone will do high speed data on most GSM-based carriers
worldwide once you get a suitable SIM; T-Mobile USA is the notable
exception because it uses an unusual frequency (1700 MHz). The
penta-band Galaxy Nexus does it one better, as it includes the T-Mobile
band. That should get you reasonably fast data worldwide for the next
3-4 years; eventually carriers will want to start retiring HSPA+
capability and go all-in on LTE but that probably won't happen within
the lifetime of a phone you buy right now. There was never any push to
do voice on HSPA+ so all such phones still use standard GSM for that.