[Discuss] Verizon wireless "mandatory" dataplan

On 7/8/2012 12:51 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> I would suggest that you speak to Verizon directly about this.  I
> would love to have a smartphone without a data plan on Verizon.

I'm at the other extreme. If there were a way to have a smartphone
without a voice plan, now you'd be talking. I've recently gone over to
T-Mobile because they will sell me a plan with 5GB of data, unlimited
texts, and 100 minutes of voice for $30/month. (That's a prepaid plan
that requires bringing your own phone; I have a Galaxy Nexus from the
Google Play store.) I've like to have Verizon's superior network
coverage but the costs are prohibitive.

I had a look at the PagePlusCellular site. The $55/month plan isn't
unreasonably priced but their selection of phones is pitiful. If you
actually want a high quality smartphone you'll have to get a compatible
phone elsewhere.

So far as I've been able to tell, the readily available high end
smartphones for prepaid come down to this limited selection. (I'm
leaving out unlocked phones from private sellers or imported from other
countries.)

Unlocked iPhone 4 or 4S (from Apple Store) on AT&T (or its MVNOs)
Unlocked Galaxy Nexus (from Google Play) on AT&T or T-Mobile (or MVNOs)
HTC Evo V 4G on Virgin Mobile
iPhone 4 or 4S on Virgin Mobile (marginal because of poor data speeds)

My current defnition of "high end": 1GHz or faster CPU with two or more
cores, qHD or better display, 1GB RAM for Android devices. iOS seems to
use memory more efficiently so the 512MB of the iPhone 4 and 4S seems to
be adequate. Some sort of 3.5G or better data connectivity should be
available, which is why the iPhones on Virgin are questionable. Android
phones should ship with or be upgradable to 4.0 or later.