[Discuss] Class action against "Secure Boot"

On 6/27/2012 7:24 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> IMHO, tablets are computers. However, when you look at mobile phones,
> Smartphones are primarily tablet devices with communications features in
> contrast many cell phones have chips and software in them, but they are
> phones with computers. Cars have had computers in them for many years,

They have.  In fact there are many computers in a modern automobile.
This does not make your car a computer.  It's a car.

You'll find a plethora of 6502-family processors in aerospace from the
1970s and 1980s.  The computers aboard the Space Shuttle use mil-spec
6502 processors.  And this is my point.  You look at iPad or Eee
Transformer and see the computers inside them.  You look at the physical
similarities to notebook computers and think "they're computers".
They're not, no more than the Columbia STS was an Apple ][+.

Basic cell phones are shells around baseband processors.  Look up that
term.  The difference between a "dumb" phone and a smart phone is that
the smart phone also has a second embedded computer to run user
applications.  Smart or dumb, tablet or telephone, they're all the same
thing: communications devices with computers embedded in them.

Which takes me back to the start of this.  If you want a computer then
buy a computer.  Don't buy a Ferrari and expect to be able to run Diablo
3 on it.  And don't complain to Ferrari when you can't.  It's not their
mistake.

I think I'm finished with this.  I've repeatedly made my point.  You
want to tilt at windmills, that's your prerogative.

--
Rich P.