[Discuss] [semi-OT] "Right to Own" law

We've heard the ads on the radio for and against the "Right to Repair"
law. This is a law that is intended to require automobile manufacturers
to publish the technical specifications and the codes that the computers
in your car produce for troubleshooting and repair.

I was thinking, what about a "Right to Own" law, that requires that
*all* electronics be documented, all "general purpose" computers i.e.
not embedded like a microwave, but everything from video games to
iphones, tablets and computers be "user serviceable." No locking out a
user from doing what ever they want with stuff they own.

Writing this law would be very tricky because you need a lot of legal
intuition about the sort of attacks that will come at it from the likes
of Apple and Microsoft, but also a lot of technical savvy to carefully
define what is "general purpose" and what is "dedicated" and what the
actual limits are. We want to protect innovation, but not at the expense
of civil rights of ownership. For instance, we don't need to see the
source code to Windows 8, be we damn well should be able to boot Linux
or FreeBSD or whatever. We should be able to run what ever program we
want on an iPhone or Android. These devices are our property, we paid
for them, we are legally responsible for what is on them, we should have
the ability to control them.

When I was a kid, almost *all* devices, from washing machines to
televisions, had a schematic inside the case. CP/M came with the source
code. We have lost a lot of freedom to the corporations locking up our
property. How much crap that would have otherwise been semi useful have
we had to throw away?

This is clearly a case where the invisible hand of capitalism will not
help and an obvious case where regulation must. Agree? Disagree? it
would be hard to find a politician who would even back such a bill, but
maybe we can get a referendum on the ballot.