[Discuss] Class action against "Secure Boot"

On 6/22/2012 5:32 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> smaller font, but the next size down (5x8) is too jagged.  A 10x16 font
> (9x15 is the closest equivalent) would almost surely probably be
> perfectly readable on a 17" 3840x2400 display.

That's because it's a larger type face.  But you see (hah-hah) the point
of the exercise?  Quadrupling pixel density has the net effect of making
everything smaller so you have to scale everything up to maintain
comparable size.  The rMBP does what iPad does for iPhone apps and what
iPad 3 does for earlier iPad apps: it doubles each pixel horizontally
and vertically.  The results aren't pretty.

Except for Apple's first-party applications which know how to tell
Quartz and Quartz Extreme to override this scaling and use the native
pixel density.  Now factor the glued-in battery pack which is good for
300 charge cycles before requiring the entire device be replaced.
Factor the fused display panel.  Factor the soldered-on, non-upgradable
RAM.  Factor the proprietary SSD.  Now tell me how this is a
general-purpose computer.

Now try to do it with a straight face.

--
Rich P.