[Discuss] Class action against "Secure Boot"

On 6/22/2012 11:19 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I agree it stinks, but if you refuse to use products like this, you're
> confining yourself to a fringe, and you can rest assured there won't be
> enough people in your group to sway the product offerings of MS & Apple &
> etc.

No, actually, I don't think it stinks at all.  What you're talking about
and what Microsoft, et.al., are selling aren't the same thing.

I've said it here before but it bears repeating: when you buy an Apple
product you don't buy a computer.  You buy the Apple Experience.  The
shiny box is just that: a box.  It's the delivery platform for that
experience.  Have a Kindle?  Same thing: it's a delivery platform for
Amazon.  Android?  Third verse same as the first.  Microsoft is doing
the same with Windows Phone and Surface.  The shiny box isn't the
product.  It's the a delivery platform for the experience inside.  The
experience is the product.

Put bluntly: if you want a computer then buy a computer.  Don't buy an
appliance with the expectation of getting a general purpose computer
because you'll be sadly disappointed.

--
Rich P.