[Discuss] Ubuntu USB Drives appending _ to folder

Hi Everyone,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 for a couple of Nagios boxes here in my office.
 I've written a backup script that compresses all of my configuration files
and copies them to a USB thumb drive each evening.  The exact path the
files are copied to is /media/Nagios_Backup

About 6 months ago I noticed that the /media folder contained a folder
called "Nagios_Backup" and a folder named "Nagios_Backup_".  Much to my
surprise, I found that for some reason the directory name of the thumb
drive had changed to "Nagios_Backup_", and that my backups were going to
the old directory, which seemed to reside only on the hard disks.

I adjusted the path of my backup destination to "Nagios_Backup_" and
assumed this behavior was just a fluke.

Today I went in to check the backups and found three folders:
/media/Nagios_Backup
/media/Nagios_Backup_
/media/Nagios_Backup__

For whatever reason, the thumb drive is now mounted with two underscores at
the end.  As a result my backups have not been saving to the USB drive.

This situation is really annoying as I can no longer rely on my backup
script to copy files to the drive due to the changing path.

Has anyone seen this before?  Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks!

--
Chris O'Connell
http://outlookoutbox.blogspot.com