[Discuss] Issuing the 'sync' command more than once (and a tangent on how not to run a high-tech company)

I'm not disagreeing with you on that.  When I worked at Fortune,
standard procedure was to type:

    sync
    sync
    sync
    halt

Even though the OS guys knew that typing 'sync', waiting about 5
seconds, then typing 'halt' was really all that was necessary, most of
the programmers writing application level code didn't know that.

But it seemed to me that your suggestion: "You could experiment to see
if issuing it occasionally in your script helps.  Or issue it outside
the script, even in a chron might help," was based on amental model that
the OS is somehow tracking how many times sync() has been called within
some timespan, and behaving differently if it's called twice rather than
once.

    Mark