[Discuss] [OT]iPad for 90 year old.

Every once in a while my mother mentions getting a computer or a
smartphone and I usually talk her out of it. She has no need for
anything more than a basic cell phone. While she can have internet
installed in her condo, I think a 4G tablet would be ok. The reason I am
leaning toward an iPad is the training she can get at the Apple Store
(she lives across the street from the one in Chestnut Hill). I'm getting
tired of getting pictures in the mail from my aunt, printing them and
then driving them over to her condo. I don't have the patience to try to
teach her, but since the Apple Store is across the street, she can drive
over when they are open. With 4G, we won't have to install Internet and
WiFi. She has a Kindle and can use that so a tablet would not be too
foreign. A couple of questions:
1. Can the builtin Apple book reader download and read Kindle books, or
would she need to install the kindle app. I like the style of Apple's
book reader.
2. Would the iPad be intuitive enough for someone who has never used a
computer.
3. The reason for not considering Android tablets is the lack of
training available close by.
I personally consider the iPad the best overall tablet other than it is
fully locked down.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix