[Discuss] Backup linux desktops/workstations

On 6/12/2012 11:00 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> On mac & windows, I'm accustomed to Time Machine and Acronis.  Key features
> are:
> . Run in the background, low priority, no complaints from user about
> performance.
> . Daily (or more frequent) incrementals
> . Able to specify excludes
> . Able to restore whole system, or just a few individual files
> . User doesn't need IT assistance to restore a few individual files

rsnapshot does all of the above.  In a nutshell, rsnapshot creates
histories of snapshots.  It uses the link feature of GNU cp to quickly
and efficiently replicate directory structures, and it uses rsync to
create the snapshots.

It runs from cron, or it can be run manually if so desired.  Each run is
effectively a diff against the previous run so load mostly depends on
changes.  You can use rsync's bwlimit to throttle I/O if it becomes a
problem.

rsnapshot is designed to run as frequently as you want, although more
frequently than every hour or three tends to be excessive.

rsnapshot uses rsync so all of rsync's exclude capabilities are available.

rsync can back up and restore a complete Linux system.  Actually
performing the restore is simple: boot a Live CD, create and mount your
file systems, and rsync the desired snapshot back onto it.  Then fix up
the boot loader.

Individual files can be restored by users either with scp or via network
shares depending on your security requirements.  The snapshots retain
file ownerships and permissions so it's largely a matter of how you want
to present these backups.

--
Rich P.