[Discuss] US Navy buys Linux to guide drone fleet

On 06/11/2012 03:55 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> o.  SELinux is not a distribution, not even internally at the NSA.
> Nor is it a complete security solution.  The NSA describes SELinux as
> a good start.
>
> That said, this isn't the first time that a DOD branch has invested
> heavily in Linux.  Recall that the Air Force built a 1700-node Linux
> supercomputer a few years back using PlayStation 3 units[1].
>
> Ultimately, it depends on what Patuxent NAS needs.  My suspicion is
> that some Brass fears (rightly so) their drone fleet falling prey to
> something like Stuxnet or Flame.
>

> [1] And boy, howdy! was Sony pissed. :)
The AF AFAIK, is still using Windows based control systems. It all comes
down to procurement. They don't buy Linux. They buy a system based ion a
set of specifications. If the OS meets the specs, then it does not
matter if it is Linux, Windows, or Ultrix..

BTW: Navy drone crashes off of Pax River.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/11/12169157-navy-drone-crashes-off-maryland-no-injuries?lite