[Discuss] Web Maintenance software (for Windows)

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> This is true. But, in this case he is volunteering as a webmaster of an
> existing website we host. The past 2 webmasters are dead.

Yikes! Is there a hazardous duty bonus for this assignment?

> It so happens that this is another group I run so it is to the group's benefit that
> we get a person who is willing to do the job.

Not really my business, but I couldn't help noticing how many
reasonable solutions you rejected out of hand under the assumption
that the guy is stubborn and unwilling to make even a small effort to
learn something new (makes me wonder how he made LTC, but then I guess
it depends which branch). Or could he just be holding out in the hope
that you'll buy him the latest Dreamweaver?

Only you know how far you're willing to bend over backwards (and ask
BLU to bend) to accommodate his inflexibility, but there comes a point
when the price is too high. Does he have some rare skill? Is there no
one else willing to manage the website? If not, how important is the
website?

I don't know how old you are. I still resent all the times in my
career I had to implement poor practices to accommodate unreasonable
people with clout. Most especially I regret those times when, by
hindsight, I could have said no, weathered the ensuing shitstorm, and
moved on. Perhaps this predisposes me to be contrary.

> If we can simply find a way to get DreamWeaver to send
> directly by using the command line interface and tie it into WinSCP we
> solve the problem.

In which case all the above is moot. I couldn't help musing about it
just the same. And I also see that the challenge of implementing a
click-and-drool wrapper around a technically sound solution is
appealing.

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Ted