[Discuss] file system checksums

Richard Pieri wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> You could always split the Flash drive into two equal partitions and use
>> them as a RAID1 set. :-)  Not only will you get the checksums you want,
>> but also redundancy to repair the problem.
>
> Except that you don't.
> Hint: RAID does nothing for data integrity or consistency.

Huh? The checksums permit detecting that the two devices are
inconsistent, and the duplication lets you repair the copy with the
failing checksum.

Whether this happens during normal array I/O, or only during a resync
operation is another matter, but the infrastructure is present to
perform a consistency check.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro