[Discuss] SSD

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Stephen Adler <adler at stephenadler.com>wrote:

> Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my workstation by adding a couple SSDs as system
> disks. I'm going to keep my regular drives (reconfigure them) so that they
> are used for storage, backups etc. I've been reading some reviews on
> <http://newegg.com>

> newegg.com and there are a lot of postings about the drives gone bad.
> Anyone have any advice, preference with SSDs? Any linux specific advice?
>
> thanks. Steve.

I am using an SSD in my Dell E6410 laptop for work, running Ubuntu 12.04
64bit. I purchased a Kingston HyperX 120GB. I also upgraded from 4G RAM to
8GRAM at the same time. Drive has been solid for months now, and I still
laugh every time I boot up. Sooooo fast. Reads, writes, anything that
involves disk I/O is just incredible.  The cost of the drive may seem
expensive (~$200) , but the amount of time I get back and the sheer joy of
booting in seconds was well worth it. The exact drive I have is here :

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-hyperx-120gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/223025138.html

We installed them in over 30 laptops at work over the last 3 months or so
and so far zero failures.

If I had a desktop I would put them in there too.  I you need fast disk I/O
then it is totally worth it in my opinion.

Richard