[Discuss] IPMI network connection

On Thu, 17 May 2012, John Malloy wrote:

> Has anyone out done much with configuring IPMI network connections?
>
> Is this similar to ILO  (Hewlett Packard Integrated Lights-Out)?
>
> Would this help Kurt Keville with his issue  " How can I resume from
> S1 (STR) mode in Ubuntu?"?

I have configured several brands of IPMI controllers. Usually there
is a menu on the CMOS setup for configuring an IP address (or dhcp)
and there may be menu options for setting user names and passwords.
Otherwise, there may be a bootable disk image for initial setup. In
any case, unless the IPMI was set up in advance, you probably wouldn't
be able to use it to power-cycle the machine.

Our experience is that IPMIs are not that reliable. They sometimes hang
when the main OS hangs, and sometimes forget their setup. They usually
come with motherboards with more than one ethernet port, and the
instructions are rarely clear about which port connects to the IPMI, so
you have to experiment.   I'd rather have a "whack-on-lan".

Daniel Feenberg