[Discuss] Push technology for mobile - iPhone woes

On 05/14/2012 11:22 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> I ran into an astoundingly poor combination of problems when attempting to set
> up "push technology" for mobile email.  Net result:  iPhone 4 bricked.
>
> My goal was this: to make my latest iPhone get my home email immediately upon
> delivery, in the way my old Android used to work and in the way my work email
> (Microsoft Exchange-based) transmits immediately.
>
> My home email is on a dovecot/postfix mail server configured to serve via imap.

The way I handle this is to have the .procmailrc file on the server
forward parts of emails as text messages when they meet certain
criteria.  This works even better than push email for me, because it
only pushes important emails, instead of every email.  it will also Just
Work with dumb phones and all smartphones.

Best of luck straightening out your phone.  A couple of people bring
Macs to meetings.  Maybe you could get one of them to reset your phone
at the meeting this Wednesday.