[Discuss] Asus Transformer Prime, Transformer Pad TF300

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I saw Tom's comments about Asus Transformer having wifi issues.  I'm not
> saying other people don't have that problem, I'm saying I don't have that
> problem, and I don't know why it would be different for other people.

Good to know. I have no first-hand experience with the problem. The
reports I've read mostly focused on the problematic GPS reception. It
sounded like fewer people were impacted by WiFi problems. The
explanation given for both problems was ASUS's decision to use a solid
metal back cover without a plastic window for the antennas.

In any case, with the release of the Transformer Pad TF300, unless you
are in love with the look of the Prime (and it does probably look
better), there isn't a compelling reason for most people to pay the $100
premium for it. (The Prime's display is brighter, it's a bit slimmer,
lighter, and has longer battery life, but the differences are fairly
marginal.)

The review I previously referenced:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/22/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review/
notes:

  ...for those of you who are wondering, we didn't encounter any
  problems with WiFi or GPS, like some Prime owners...

Video review of the TF300:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htb5i3OaYO0&feature=player_detailpage#t=97s
 or
http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/18

I think there will be a high-end model coming out sometime soon that
will be a more direct replacement for the Prime. Presumably it would
exceed the current Prime specs, rather than mostly matching them as the
TF300 does.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro