[Discuss] iscsitarget

That sounds like a sparse file operation to me.  Which I would normally use
for most situations, but since you explicitly said you created the file
using a dd command which isn't sparse...  Maybe you wanted a fully allocated
disk?  If it is sparse now, and you want it fully allocated, I think there's
only one way to fill it now...  Which is to fill the disk on the guest side.
For example, install cygwin on windows, and then run:  dd if=/dev/zero
of=junk.file bs=1024k ; rm junk.file