[Discuss] Carrier Ethernet

Richard Pieri wrote:
> I don't know what this "fibre ethernet" thing is.  FiOS installation
> includes a fibre to Ethernet bridge...

No, what Gordon referred to and Chuck expanded on is definitely
different than various mechanisms that bridge to Ethernet. My
understanding is that Ethernet is used over the wire between you and the
ISP, which is not the case for all the traditional forms of "last mile"
connectivity.

Although the differences aren't so obvious. Many of the "Ethernet over
the last mile" technologies still encapsulate Ethernet and carry it over
other protocols, like IP or SONET/SDH or DSL (ATM).

It seems to be an increasingly common offering from business-class ISPs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Ethernet

  Carrier Ethernet is a marketing term for extensions to Ethernet to
  enable telecommunications network providers to provide Ethernet
  services to customers and to utilize Ethernet technology in their
  networks.
  [...]
  Ethernet's dominance is partly attributed to the simple advantages for
  the industry of adopting a single standard to drive up volumes and
  drive down prices. In part, it is also due to ease of deployment,
  using its ability to self-configure itself based on the key concepts
  of "learning bridge" and "spanning tree protocol".

Consistent with what Chuck said, this seems to have gotten its start
with Metro Ethernet:

  The principal concept was to bring the simplicity and cost model of
  Ethernet to the wide area network.

And:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Ethernet

  A Metro Ethernet is a computer network that covers a metropolitan area
  and that is based on the Ethernet standard. It is commonly used as a
  metropolitan access network to connect subscribers and businesses to a
  larger service network or the Internet. Businesses can also use Metro
  Ethernet to connect branch offices to their intranet.

That article seems to blend the concept of a private WAN and Internet
connectivity.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_in_the_First_Mile

  With wide, metro and local area networks using various forms of
  Ethernet, the goal was to eliminate non-native transport such as
  Ethernet over Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) from access networks.
  ... The hope was to combine the packet-based nature of Ethernet with
  the ability of Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) technology to work over
  existing telephone access wires. ...the EtherLoop technology was
  called 100BASE-CU and another technology called EoVDSL for Ethernet
  over VDSL.

If you look at a traditionally DSL-focused ISP like Covad (now known as
MegaPath, apparently), the top service they promote now is carrier
Ethernet (they call it "Business Ethernet"):
http://www.megapath.com/data/ethernet/

  ...uses the same loop technology as T1 bonding, is symmetrical, and is
  extremely reliable--with 99.99% SLA guarantees. MegaPath's Business
  Ethernet offers 2x2 Mbps for only $199/month, versus a traditional T1
  for $299/month. Ethernet is a perfect solution, especially for
  customers with businesses that are located in dense metropolitan
  areas.

What does that mean? 2 Mbps in each direction? Presumably guaranteed,
like a T1.

It'll be a more interesting technology when it moves further down
market. Most providers in this space are targeting businesses planning
to spend many hundreds on connectivity. (For example, Comcast offers
this service, and a big target market for them are telecoms[1] needing
"backhaul" links for their cell towers. Seems a bit ironic how some
people might switch to 4G to get away from Comcast only to have their
traffic still be carried by them.)

1.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228017/comcast_rolls_out_metro_ethernet.html

 -Tom