[Discuss] When you omit rsync '--update' option

I suggest to all of us that are working rsync to read the man
page. rsync is probably the most impressive free backup tool I've
used (in comparison to the simplicity of operations, and it
served me well, from home to date-center) .
To some it will make sense that older files will not be kept
unless configured, because "who needs all the old junk" ?
rsync's default is  "Is the file on the backup server older then
the local one ? Good, lets overwrite it with mine". Anything else
should be meticulously considered, and will perform well,
as long as detail and pre-testes are a norm.
Here are the  "--update" options :

-u, --update    skip files that are newer on the receiver
	--inplace       update destination files in-place
	--append         append data onto shorter files
	--append-verify --append w/old data in file checksum

Guy Gold