[Discuss] Very slow system, no idle, but nothing running

I can definitely vouch for Jerry's statement, "you cannot remove ALL cat
hair from a years old laptop keyboard.  Ever."  A few weeks ago the "x"
key on my keyboard became intermittent. For most people, this is merely
a problem.  For us Emacs users, an intermittent "x" key is an
unmitigated disaster!

So just last week I examined things more closely and found LOTS of cat
fur under the keys.  Compressed air was useless.  Luckily I found a
website with instructions on how to remove individual keycaps from my
laptop's keyboard.  So I pulled the "x" keycap off and picked out bits
of cat fur with tweezers, and then with the keycap off and most of the
cat fur removed, the compressed air was much more effective.  Since
there was fur crossing keycap boundaries to adjacent keys, I then gave
all the keys surrounding "x" the same treatment.  My "x" key now works
reliably.

However, no matter how hard I tried or how long I spent, there was
ALWAYS a little bit of cat fur I couldn't get out.

     Mark Rosenthal