[Discuss] camera files

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:54:51AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>> in yesteryear, when i plugged a camera into my computer, the
>> camera files would show up under /mnt, then later under
>> /media, then under ~/.gvfs. ?now, however, they show up in
>> one of those "drag and drop" windows (whatever they're
>> called), but where are they? ?i see NIKON... at the top of
>> the window and a directory DCIM in the window.
>>
>> "find / -name DCIM" produces nothing.
>
> These days, many cameras and other types of USB storage devices can
> operate in several USB modes, which unfortunately (I've found) can be
> called different things on different devices and/or operating systems.
> Some of these work like USB-attached disks, whereas others do not.
> You may need to check the mode your device is configured to connect
> with, and possibly choose another mode. ?There's usually some option
> in the settings that controls this. ?Not all devices support all of
> the possible modes, so if your device is new, it's possible it doesn't
> support that mode.

Also, as many devices store images on removable media (SD cards, for
example), it might be an option to remove the memory card and plug it
into a machine's internal (or external, via USB cable) media reader.
The respective slot you plug into for the type of media should, then,
mount as a device.

Scott