[Discuss] [OT]Discuss - Software Engineering union

I think, in our society, business has been bashing unions for decades
and their message has taken hold. Yes, I grant you there are many
examples of absurdity where the unions aren't helping themselves. On the
whole, however, the amount of good that unions do far outweigh the few
Monty pythonesque moments.

The IT industry is fairly well paid slave labor. I mean, working on
week-ends, no-notice late nights, vacations that have to be canceled
because of sudden problems. All without any compensation. When was the
last time you REALLY worked 40 hours. Right? Probably never. It is so
ingrained in the industry no one even thinks these things are out of the
ordinary. Just about EVERY other profession, professional or labor,
would not stand for this. Ask a lawyer, doctor, plumber, or electrician
to work an extra day and late nights for free, see what happens.

Then there is the "intellectual property" issue with copyright and
patents. Not only do we put in the late hours and extra days, even
working at home, without pay, we end up with no ownership of our work.

The treatment of IT people is pretty terrible as well.

I worked at "Business and Professional Software" on Binney Street, and
the owner, David Solomont, had a whole team working extra hours to
finish up a product for release. When it was done, he laid off the whole
team, except for the architect.

I worked at "Sytron" corporation, they went on a hiring spree. I'm not
sure of the reason, I think it was a business strategy thing, but they
decided they hired in error. So, people on their starting day were told
they had no job. People left jobs to come there, were now unemployed and
technically never worked at the new company.

At "TPS" in Cambridge, it was a contract house  that had Microsoft as a
client. Microsoft kept making changes and the work load kept building.
No problem right? Microsoft paid for the hourly work just fine, but TPS
didn't hire any more people or pay for the extra time put in. I got so
burnt out from that gig, I think it helped end my first marriage.

I think we need a union. Looking back on all the crap that I've seen, I
hate to think of new people going into this industry without protection.