[Discuss] Discuss - Software Engineering union

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Adler
>
> I'm wondering if one could study how the unions, who protect actors and
> writers, to see if they have come up with a particular effective
> unionizing method. I've always considered software developers/engineers
> to be on par with artists in that we essentially spend our days
> creating/writing/publishing.

You mean the Screen Actors' Guild?  SAG?  Who in the early 90's decided to
go on strike and hold the television industry hostage, and thus gave rise to
the Real World, and reality television in general?  So now the networks
barely hire any actors at all...  Nearly all TV is anything other than hired
scripted writers & actors...