[Discuss] Unexplained GUI lockups

I have had no luck with the NVIDIA drivers on my Dell Precision, and find the Nouveau driver more stable under Fedora 16 than I did with other distros.  That said, I too don't have the same scenario as you, but I use Evolution for better Exchange support.  I occasionally have display lockups when I suspend/resume but usually if I close the lid again, and open after a pause, the driver gets kicked into motion.
I have noticed some intermittent issues, but chalked these up to the all-too-frequent kernel updates that have been coming down.  And, look, another one!

/Jay Burrill