[Discuss] Many SATA drives

We would like to build a computer with many SATA drives, but NOT use a
hardware RAID controller (because we want to be able to move individual
drives to another system, connect them to a motherboard SATA port, and
have the original data available). Is there a way to get a non-RAID SATA
controller with 4 or more ports, or is there some way to find out if a
particular RAID controller will allow the drive geometry to pass through
without modification? Our initial experience with an LSI 8 port controller
was that it always messed with the drive, even if you didn't ask for any
RAID.

I am also thinking of "multiport" controllers but have similar worries
about them. For example the Syba controller used in the Backblaze pod is
very cheap and apparently supports 16 drives:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027

This isn't the sort of information a salesperson or user manual will
cover, but perhaps someone has experience. If no one answers, I will
probaby just buy one and test it.

Daniel Feenberg