[Discuss] ssl certs

> Guys,
>
> I got sucked into buying an ssl certificate from godaddy for $12.99 a
> month which it turns out is for the first one and then it goes to
> $70/year after that. What's the cheapest ssl certificate I can get?
> Besides a self signed one.
>
> Thanks for the advice.

A couple of years ago, my previous company got a "godady" cert, which
worked fine and all, but not all the customer's browsers recognized it. We
eventually had to pony up for a "Network Solutions" cert.

The moral of the story: look at the ssl authorities your projected
customers accept (based on age of the browsers and OS)  and pick from one
of those. If it is a web site, you sort of need to pay the cash. If it is
just your stuff, roll an "Inno Setup" to install your cert on Windows.

Seriously, I think the whole ssl authority model is fucked up, but that is
a whole new level of discussion.