[Discuss] ssl certs

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Ward Vandewege <ward at pong.be> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 01:21:04PM -0400, Stephen Adler wrote:
>> $70/year after that. What's the cheapest ssl certificate I can get?
>> Besides a self signed one.
>
> http://startssl.com
>
> Free, but the interface is a bit clunky.

They don't hold your hand, but I had no trouble or complaints setting
up a Startssl.com certificate for my VPS. See https://vicky.glump.net
for an example deployment if want to see what their cert looks like.

In an era where there are hundreds or thousands of uncounted and
unregulated certificate providers that (AFAIK) can sign a cert for any
domain in the world, the AUTHENTICATION provided by the system as a
whole is worthless, so why pay for it? (Note, I am not actually
responsible for any enterprise deployments of an SSL certificate right
now, so that makes me not an expert.)