[Discuss] Network IP Conflicts and Dropped Samba Connections Oh My!

On 03/19/2012 11:19 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
 > Are the conflicting IP addresses in the DHCP range that the SMC is
 > managing?  That's not clear to me from your description of the
 > problem.   If they are, I might guess that the SMC is periodically
 > resetting itself and forgetting about addresses it has already
 > allocated.   If you have the ability to setup a monitor port somewhere
 > in your network infrastructure, you might try setting up a sniffer
 > there to capture just DHCP packets

Yep the SMC is managing all DHCP.

On 03/19/2012 11:26 AM, Guy Gold wrote:
 > 1.Can you post the exact message that implies of the IP conflict ?
 > 2.Do you have more then one DHCP server on the LAN ?

Only one DHCP server.  It's just windows boxes giving a generic pop up
complaint about an IP conflict.  Reboot seems to resolve the issue.

 > TCPdump, it's cross-distro, it takes longer to master then GUI
 > sniffers, like Wireshark, but, like most shell-based tools, it's worth
 > the invsetment.

Cool I'll check it out.  Sounds like a fun tool to learn more about my
little LAN.

Well after digging around some today I found that I did have a not too
often used server with the same static IP as my samba server.  Doh!  So
I'm _hoping_ that will fix the locked files issue.  I had no complaints
today about it.  :)

For the IP conflicts I changed the setting to update addresses on the
SMC device to two days.  It was 2 weeks.  This is just me guessing though.

I'll do some more digging around.  Many thanks for the excellent feed back!

- Eric C
The one who wears too many hats.