[Discuss] Network IP Conflicts and Dropped Samba Connections Oh My!

On Mon,Mar 19 10:23:AM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:

> 1.  One of the cicso switches burned out a fan which I replaced.  I
> think the old bugger is reaching it's end of life.  Maybe this is
> intermittently screwing up samba connections?

Never say never in the happy world of Telecom, but the switch would
not be my first target. Its been a while since my last Samba T-shoot
(luckily), I'll leave this one to others.

> 2.  Staff is occasionally getting IP conficts.  I've checked to make
> sure my servers have the proper static IPs and that the Comcast SMC
> Networks router doesn't use these addresses in it's dns range.  We
> have a couple of wireless routers and I'm verifying now they are not
> the cause.

1.Can you post the exact message that implies of the IP conflict ?
2.Do you have more then one DHCP server on the LAN ?

> I'm also googling for a good network monitor application that can
> run on Ubuntu and could maybe help me figure out which (if any)
> switch is in poor health.

TCPdump, it's cross-distro, it takes longer to master then GUI
sniffers, like Wireshark, but, like most shell-based tools, it's worth
the invsetment.