[Discuss] My God! It's Full of Batteries!

On 3/17/2012 9:18 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> The desirability of the tablet computers are their portability. My
> mother, for instance, has a Kindle, but she won't put it in a case,
> because it makes it too heavy.

Yep.  Amazon's "official" Kindle covers roughly double the carry weight
of the devices.  That's why I got a third party sleeve for my DX.
Remember convenience?  The sleeve protects the Kindle when it is in my
pack, and stays in my pack when I'm using the device.  This is why Apple
redesigned the "official" cover for the iPad 2 as a folding flap that
functions as screen protector and stand base.  It's all about
convenience with these devices.

> lighter batteries, the tablets are not going to significantly replace
> the laptops until we can reduce the weight of the batteries.

This is a big part of why I believe that resonant inductance will
replace batteries.  RI short circuits the battery weight problem by
eliminating or reducing the need for battery power.  An RI-powered The
New iPad wouldn't need 42 Watt-hours of battery packs.  A 5 Watt-hour
battery pack would provide enough power for about 30 minutes of roaming
use or several hours of standby power and it would considerably reduce
the total mass.

--
Rich P.