[Discuss] Google Glasses

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Richard Pieri wrote:
>> The only thing that I can see killing the clamshell style notebook is
>> the elimination of the physical screen.  Someone devises a way of
>> projecting the display into the air above the keyboard...
>
> We already have ways of projecting onto eyeglasses, We've had BLU
> meetings on this. Effectively these are implemented as heads-up
> displays...
>
> ...I don't know why some companies don't invest in these.

Google Glasses are real, will use two 0.52-inch micro displays
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/google-glasses-real-micro-displays-20120223/

  The basic idea is that some kind of wearable computer that displays on
  the lenses of a pair of glasses. As incredible as that sounds, there's
  not a whole lot of tech out there that really fits that description
  closely. The idea that these lenses would act as displays for
  information seems really interesting...

  ...we've been told the glasses are real, and that we will more than
  likely be seeing a prototype of them at Google's developer conference
  this June.

As Jerry mentions, the concept isn't novel, but there are still
organizations investing in this technology.

Not aimed at quite the same use case - supposedly this set of glasses
will incorporate a video camera, and will make use of augmented reality.

  Basically, you have glasses on your head with a camera facing out, and
  that camera's job is to record your gestures. When you're browsing,
  you reach your hand out and glide through the air like you are
  touching the content being shown to your eyes, and that controls your
  navigation. The display is transparent, so even if you are looking at
  something, you aren't losing sight of the outside world.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA